It's kind of a downer, to be honest. I found student mental health to be an extremely easy thing to write about since I'm crazy stressed out right now with all my finals due.
Students stress about debt
Sarah Lebow's typical day
starts around 6 am. She gets up, does her morning routine, then heads
off to class. Class ends for the environmental technology student at
3 in the afternoon. Her day is not yet finished, for then she goes to
her job serving students in the cafe on residence. Eight hours later
she comes home and falls into bed, all to get up in the morning and
do it again.
Lebow works eight hours
two days a week at her on-campus job, but she also has a job on
weekends at a gas station. Overall, Lebow works 36 hours a week on
top of her studies.
Working during school is
becoming vital in order to pay increasingly expensive tuition fees.
The average tuition fees paid by students has risen by almost $1000
since 2008 according to Statistics Canada and there is no sign it is
going to stop. This pushes students harder to make ends meet while
studying in hopes of getting a higher paying job.
Many Canadian students
face this hardship. The problem with this is it negatively impacts
grades, and, more importantly, health.
The cost is high for
Lebow.
“Because I work so
much to make ends meet I don't get to study enough so my grades
aren't nearly as good as they could be” says Lebow.
A vicious cycle
emerges of studying to get a better job, working too much to pay for
studies, grades start slipping because of stress, grades are not good
enough to get the job or even graduate college.
College is usually the
first time a student is on their own. They take on all of the
responsibilities of adulthood but are still students. The average age
group attending post-secondary institutions is 18 – 25. This age
also happens to be when mental illnesses are most likely to show
themselves according to a study on student mental health by Queen's
University. Mental illnesses have many triggers including genetics
but stress is particularly effective.
Many factors drive
students to work while in school. Some want to avoid student loans
that carry heavy interest rates. Others aren't able to get enough
money from loans to afford to live. Either way, students are daunted
by the debt they will carry out of school.
Lebow can identify with
those students. She has to pay for rent, her phone bill, car
insurance, gas, and food.
“I'm broke and in
debt. The thoughts keep me up at night so I just focus on school and
work.
And at the rate I work,
when I'm done school I'll have two full years salary in debt” says
Lebow.
It takes an average of 14
years for Canadian graduates to pay off their student debts. The
average student leaves campus with around $30,000 in debt. It may not
seem like a lot if a salary is $35-$40,000 a year, but after after
taking away living expenses and taxes only a tiny fraction of that is
left to pay off those troublesome loans. Also, the longer you take to
pay them off the more they grow.
Lebow feels like there's
nothing she can do to change her situation. Many students can agree
they feel quite hopeless
Love,
Katie
No comments:
Post a Comment