Thursday, 28 February 2013

Valentine's was a big day!

I know Valentine's day was weeks ago, but I wanted to share some photos. It was a big day for my college, especially the media programs! We had a politician by the name of Justin Trudeau stop by on his campaign tour. I bet everyone in Canada knows who he is, but for those of you from elsewhere here's who this dude is.
The Globe & Mail
He's running for the leadership of the Liberal Party of Canada, if he gets it that means he'll run in the next federal election to be Prime Minister of Canada. His political focuses involve post secondary eduction, immigration, and strengthening the middle class. He's the son of Prime Minister Pierre Elliot Trudeau who held office from 1968 to 1979.

The day was crazy! Since our teachers were involved with the coverage of his visit, we didn't have classes. Instead it was our job (the first years) to live tweet during his speech, take photos, and take notes.
Let me tell you it was a blast! It was super stressful because I was trying to get exact quotes down to tweet, trying to really pay attention to what he was saying, there were photographers everywhere, the auditorium was packed! You could feel the excitement, the tension. I was loving every minute of it!
Before his speech he toured the media wing of the college and stopped in at the newsroom.

Swarmed by journalism and photojournalism students!
Photo by Suzy Coolen
After a brief few questions on camera the entire crowd headed down the hallway to the auditorium.

Full house!
Photo by Suzy Coolen

My good friend and classmate Suzy got so many amazing pictures (hence why I'm using them), she had a better spot than I did. I was stuck in the far left back corner with my clunky laptop instead of a tablet. Live and learn right?

This was a fantastic experience that I wanted to share on here. This was the biggest thing I've done so far in terms of journalism, I'd say this was a milestone.
After the whole thing was over we celebrated by going on an adventure around town and shopped for Valentine's Day.

Love,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment