A couple more months I will be finished my first year of college. I've learned a lot from my classes, but I think I've learned more from the college lifestyle. After all, it's breaking out of childhood and bracing yourself for the shittiness of the real world.
A lot of valuable lessons have been learned, I'd like to be able to say there are no regrets. There are a couple, I'm not going to lie. But seriously, a lot of good times and good lessons learned.
1. Don't drink on school nights.
Or just practice moderation. Sitting through a 2 hour 8 am class basking in blinding fluorescent lights in front of a computer with a dirty hangover is not fun. Especially when you have to run out of the room to vomit. I haven't lived that one down yet. Definitely don't regret learning that lesson; definitely regret everything else.
2. Save your effing money.
Seriously. I'm so awful with money. First semester I was broke within 2 months. Mom was not happy when I came crying to her for more money. Glad I learned that lesson too, although now I'm in debt with the government AND my parents. I think I'm more scared of my mom; she's a scary lady.
3. Don't choose the last presentation slot for big projects.
It was unintentional I swear! Somehow I ended up picking the last spot of the semester to give a lecture to my civic literacy class on a topic I knew nothing about. That combined with all my other final projects, well, my school days during the final couple of weeks were usually 9 am to 9 pm. Somebody had to do it I suppose.
4. Classmates are off limits.
I'm not going to get too far into this one. But seriously, don't date your classmates. I promise it will not end well.
5. Go to your professors.
They're there to help you succeed. If you have something going on that's affecting your studies, talk about it with a prof you trust. Even something in your personal life. Most of them have been around the block a few times, they know what's up. I've found it beneficial to have someone to talk to in the school environment as well as outside it.
6. You'll most likely get scurvy if all you eat is Mr. Noodles.
For real though, that shit'll kill you. Save money to get good food. Or at least add vegetables and stuff to your Mr. Noodles.
That's about all I can think of right now. I'm sure I'll think of more. All in all college is a blast, but every now and again life just kinda pops up and bitch slaps you with reality. Which is a good thing in the long run, or so they tell me.
Love,
Katie
No comments:
Post a Comment